Monday, October 26, 2009

Brandon's Coconut Curry

Heather and I had a wonderful honeymoon in Grenada at a place called The Lodge. The place was fantastic and we highly recommend it. Because the hosts at The Lodge are such wonderful cooks who come up with very creative and unbelievably delicious meals each day, Heather and I came home wanting to create our own delicious meals. While many of the meals we created were not successful and no one will confuse me with a gourmet chef, one meal turned out very well. It's mother-in-law approved and I decided to share it tonight. It's probably way over-spiced (novice that I am) and I'm sure people will undoubtedly have their own renditions for it, but I found this dish to be delicious and perfect just the way it was. So without further ado, here's is Brandon's own Coconut Curry recipe:





Veggies:

1 small head of cabbage
1 Onion, sliced
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
4 Carrots, peeled and julienne cut
1 Large Zucchini, sliced in rounds
1 Large Yellow Squash, sliced in rounds
1 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced
Scallions, chopped, for garnish

Sauce:
1 Can of Coconut Milk
1/2 Package of Silken Tofu
1/2 Tbsp Thyme
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Curry
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Agave
1/2 Tbsp Dried Basil
1 tsp Red Curry Paste
1 Tbsp Ginger
Salt and Pepper to taste

Other:
Jasmine Rice
3 Bay Leaves

Saute onions, cabbage, and garlic in a little bit of water (or a little olive oil if you prefer) until soft, but not brown. Set aside and keep warm.

Prepare rice according to directions.

Steam zucchini, squash, bell pepper, and carrots until soft (but not too soft).

Blend all sauce ingredients together in blender until smooth. Heat in a small saucepan with the bay leaves over medium low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.

When serving, put a bed of the cabbage, onion, and garlic mixture on your plate. Put a scoop of rice on top of the cabbage mixture in the middle of the plate. Surround the scoop of rice with the steamed veggies. Drizzle the sauce over the top of the rice and veggies. Top with scallions. Enjoy!

This is a great dish that Heather and I truly love. Adjust the spices to your taste and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't tried blending a green chile in there or adding more curry. If any of you try this by the way, please share, as I'd love to hear what other people think of my creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment