Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Work Potlucks


What's worse than attending a work potluck as a vegan?

Organizing a work potluck as a vegan.

Tomorrow my office is having a big office potluck. I'm the secretary, so I usually do the planning on most of my office's work functions. Luckily, the people I work with are wonderfully supportive of my veganism, so that isn't the issue. I'm not around meat a lot, so these functions kind of throw me into the meat world again. For example, everyone wants a meat dish, so I have to deal with a lot of meat talk. What kind of meat do we want? How much meat do we want? So far, I haven't had to take their money and actually buy it yet. Other people have always volunteered.

Also, I usually take up a collection of money and go out and get snacks and extras. Of course, people always ask for things I don't want to buy, like those big bags of Halloween candy that contain Snickers, Milky Ways, etc. Today, I just ignored all the suggestions and bought a big bag of vegan candy. There was a lovely bag of Swedish Fish and Sour Patch Kids at the grocery store. I got plain chips, nuts, and pretzels. I figure, if they don't like it, then they shouldn't send the vegan to buy it.

Then comes the actual potluck - a lot of people weighing their plates down with all sorts of different non-vegan stuff, while looking at my measly (but delicious) plate with pity. "Oh, that's right... you can't have this cake, can you? It has eggs in it. I'm sooo sorry."

Needless to say, I kind of dread tomorrow. Not that I expect anyone to go out of their way and make anything that I can eat. I really don't. I would be terribly embarrassed if they tried to accommodate me. I'm always prepared for these events anyway. My trusty PB&J and me get along just fine. However, I do know that at least one wonderful person will make something that I can eat. Also, I can eat my lovely dish. You know, the one that is going to be out of place around all the mayonnaise-drenched potato salads and chicken wings. I made Veganomicon's Lentil Salad. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious and I know I will enjoy it a lot tomorrow, alongside the pasta salad I know will be vegan. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment